Almost every state requires that speech-language pathologists and audiologists be licensed or otherwise regulated (i.e., registration, certification). Each state may have different eligibility requirements, fees, and continuing education requirements. Practicing without a license or outside the scope of practice of the state licensure law constitutes a legal violation.

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. It is intended for informational use only, and should not be construed as legal advice.


California SLP License

California School SLP Service Credential

CA SLP & Audiology Licensing Board (SLPAB)

California's Dept. of Education certifies entities called Non-Public Schools (NPSs) and Non-Public Agencies (NPAs) to provide special ed services including speech-language pathology (SLP) services to public schools.