Licensing and Credentialing

Almost every state requires that speech-language pathologists and audiologists be licensed or otherwise regulated (i.e., registration, certification). Each state may have different eligibility requirements, fees, and continuing education requirements. Practicing without a license or outside the scope of practice of the state licensure law constitutes a legal violation.

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. It is intended for informational use only, and should not be construed as legal advice.

Resource Links

California Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology and Hearing Aid Dispensers Board 

The Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology and Hearing Aid Dispensers Board regulates the practices of speech-language pathology, audiology, and hearing aid dispensing in California by licensing those who meet minimum standards of competency. Among its functions, the Board promulgates laws and regulations; issues, renews, suspends, and revokes licenses; and imposes disciplinary sanctions, when necessary.

The California Department of Education certifies entities called Non-Public Schools (NPSs) and Non-Public Agencies (NPAs) to provide special education services including speech-language pathology (SLP) services to public schools.

California Commission on Teacher Credentialing

The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing is an agency in the Executive Branch of California State Government. The major purpose of the agency is to serve as a state standards board for educator preparation for the public schools of California, the licensing and credentialing of professional educators in the State, the enforcement of professional practices of educators, and the discipline of credential holders in the State of California.